I’ve been collecting some new makeup products over the last few months, and tried to hoard as much as I could so that I could do a full face of first impressions! Watch me create this spring makeup look using all these products for the first time – many of which are brand new products on the market!
View Full Post
This limited edition brush set was one of the most anticipated Tarte launches of 2017- each year, they release a gorgeous limited edition set of brushes with special packaging.
For 2017, they launched their most unique and (I think) beautiful set yet.
These ultra luxurious brushes were inspired by fairytales, unicorns and magic, or more specifically “unicorn kisses and fantasy dreams,” according to Sephora. These brushes are also cruelty free and vegan friendly!
It retails for $51 Canadian, which for 5 gorgeous cruelty-free brushes is very reasonable!
- Magenta contour brush – this brush is dense with shorter, flat bristles that make it ideal for contouring, applying powder to bake, or even to highlight. I love using brushes like this to contour, because the long flat shape allows for an easy and effortless contour application.
- Pink powder brush – This tapered powder brush is fluffy and ideal for setting powder or blush. I love using brushes like this with loose powder to set my under eye concealer – though this one is a bit large for that depending on your face/eye shape. It works really well to sweep colour on the cheeks, or to set liquid/cream foundation with powder!
- Green blending eyeshadow brush – this fluffy eye brush has long bristles, yet tapers slightly to make it great for blending in the crease! It’s thinner than most of the crease brushes I have, and for that reason is a perfect addition to my collection!
- Blue shading eyeshadow brush – this thin, flat brush is ideal for packing on shadow to the lid. Shimmer, matte, satin, even cream shadows apply with ease. A brush like this is a must-have for any collection!
- Purple liquid foundation brush – this brush is very uniquely shaped, it’s neither flat nor rounded like most, but rather a fluffy/dense hybrid. I’m not the hugest fan of using only brushes to apply liquid or cream foundation (nothing blends quite like a sponge for me!) but if you like applying foundation with a brush, you will likely love this one!
The packaging speaks for itself. Sleek and gold unicorn-esque, with pastel bristles? How could I possibly resist? The brushes do feel lighter and slightly less significant than I expected – they look so luxurious I expected them to have more weight to them. But really that’s my only complaint!
I most definitely could not miss out on this brush set! It’s one I will undoubtedly keep on display for years to come! I cannot recommend this brush set enough!
Smashbox recently launched their Crush On Blush Palette (initially exclusive to Smashbox.com, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Murale).
I have been eagerly awaiting this launch since attending a Smashbox training seminar a few months ago. It was supposed to be launched in March at Shopper’s Drug Mart, however it wasn’t received or released here until this month. I popped in to my locale Murale store and bought one before they even put it out on display!
This limited edition blush palette is absolutely incredible!
It retails for $45, and is valued at $134!
It features six shades: 1 highlighter, 1 bronzer, and 4 blushes.
- The Highlight: Soft Lights “Shimmer” (permanent). This is a STUNNING beige/champagne toned highlight with micro-fine shimmer. It’s more shimmery than sparkly, and creates a phenomenal highlight.
- The Bronzer: Bronze Lights in “Sun Tan” (a new permanent release). This is a gorgeous neutral toned, light bronzer. It’s very soft and natural, has no shine or shimmer, and would be excellent for fair skins that have difficulty finding a natural looking bronzer.
- “Warm Apricot”: This is a peachy apricot with golden/copper shimmer. The shimmer is very natural looking, and creates a beautiful glow.
- “Guava”: This is a mid-tone deeper peachy- pink. It’s more of a satin finish, and works especially well on medium to deeper skin tones!
- “Rosy”- This is a deeper, dusty pink with reddish/plum undertones. It has a subtle sparkle (the sparkle doesn’t really show, it just reflects light beautifully!) This shade also looks stunning on medium and deeper skin tones!
- “Rosette”- This is my personal favourite shade! It’s a light, cool-toned pink that sort of reminds me of Mac’s “Dame” or “Rose Fresque” by Lancome. This type of a colour is always my go-to for a fresh, spring look. This colour looks so gorgeous on fair skin tones!
Here are some swatches: (swatched with fingers)
“Guava” photograpphed more orange that it really is – I promise it doesn’t look that orange in person!
Tip: a little goes a long way. This blush is so pigmented and so finely-milled that you really only need a quick dip in the product- don’t swirl your brush, it will make a mess!
Bottomline: This palette is incredible. It has quickly become my favourite blush product, and I’ve been using it every day since getting it! It’s worth every penny, and is perfect for travelling, makeup artists, or beauty lovers looking to build their kit/collections!
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and birds are chirping. Spring is in the air – well, sort of. There may still be some snow on the ground, and the temperature may only be 6 degrees, but after 4+ months of chilly winter, I will take any hope of warmth that I can get.
Working in the cosmetic industry always gets me excited for the changing of seasons – new colours, new products, and new techniques.
While I had eagerly looked forward to cool tones and dark lips for winter, I now find myself itching to use corals, pinks, peaches, and bronzes.
Shopping through my makeup collection, I decided to put together a post on products/ colours I am most excited to use for this upcoming spring/summer season!
Peaches, pinks and corals for spring? Utterly groundbreaking, I know.
I don’t care if these colours are cliché or predictable – to me, they are the epitome of Spring.
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette
- Mac “Hi Jinks!” Casual Lip & Cheek Colour
- Clinique Chubby Stick for Cheeks “Amp’d Up Apple”
- Clinique Cheek Pop Blush in “Peach Pop”
- Mac Ombre Blush in “Ocean City” from the Proenza Schouler collection (limited edition)
- Clarins new Instant Light Natural Lip Balm Perfector in “#01 Rose”
- Maybelline Color Whisper in “Pin Up Peach”
- Nyx Butter Gloss in “Maple Blondie”
- Gerard Cosmetics Lipgloss in “Buttercream”
What are your favourite products to use for Spring?
For today’s makeup of the day, I thought I would start playing around with some different looks for springtime, despite the fact my city just received yet another snow fall. However, the sun is shining and I suspect that the snow will soon melt, and spring will finally arrive.
While my love for sweaters and boots will never falter, I do find myself being drawn towards spring trends like florals and pinks, and it’s really making me excited for warm weather! I must admit, I do miss maxi dresses and sandals.
The MAC Pro class that I went to last week really helped inspire me to start playing around with warm looks! I am absolutely loving glowy skin with a bit of a bronze glow.
To create this look, I used:
To get a bit more of a glow, I love using a highlighter. MAC’s Mineralized Skin Finishes are my favourite! I am currently loving “Perfect Topping”: