I recently had the opportunity to attend a training & launch event for Smashbox – one of my absolute favourite brands. Last year I wrote a full post about some of the new and upcoming launches, and thought I would do the same this year! Here’s what’s in Smashbox’s 2016 beauty forecast!
(Note: these are the product launches based here in Canada, primarily for Murale/ Shoppers Drug Mart. Launches and availability may differ in other countries, and this does not include Sephora-exclusive or Online-exclusive launches.)
Smashbox has a ton of new products already out in stores, and many more to come!
- Photo Finish Primer oil: launched at the end of December 2015.
- I will be doing a full video review & demo of this soon! This is one of their biggest launches of the year, because it’s the first primer oil on the market! It’s a primer suspended in a lightweight oil, with a special blend of 15 oils to absorb quickly, while being super hydrating and nourishing on the skin. This is technically skincare, and can be used day and night even without makeup to hydrate & improve the skin! You can also mix it with your foundation to create a more dewy finish!
- Brow Tech Shaping Powder: launched at the end of December 2015.
- Available in 4 shades, this is a very unique product – it gives you the coverage and ease of a powder, but with the precision of a pencil. It’s a powder in a dip-pen style with a pointed tip. It’s a longwearing, 8-hour formula that is great for thin or sparse brows. Smashbox is always on top of trends, and created this product as they predicted a transition to more of a natural-brow trend for 2016!
- Be Legendary Lipstick: launched at the end of December 2015.
- Smashbox has recently revamped their whole lipstick range. They launched new hydrating creams, and the New Modern Mattes range. These aren’t a complete reformulation, but rather an addition of exciting new shades! There are gorgeous berries, reds, burgundies, and even dark colours like a blackened burgundy, a dark brown, and a dark grey! The formulation of these is phenomenal! They contain a vert finely-milled rich pigment that gives them amazing color payoff, and helps them glide on the lips.
- The Creams help hydrate and soften the lips with Vitamins E, C, and Shea butter. The Mattes also have Castor Oil, Carnauba Wax, Matricaria Flower, and vitamins to prevent them from from cracking or settling into fine lines like most mattes do! These are by far one of the most comfortable matte formulas I’ve ever tried! They don’t flake, peel, or crack!
- Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer: Launched at the end of December 2015.
- This product is really cool – it’s a gel that transforms any cream lipstick into a matte finish! It also prevents feathering and blurs the lines of the lips, creating an ultra-comfortable matte lipstick. To be honest, I did not like this product until I learned how to properly use it. Do not swipe the product across the lips directly from the tube – this will disrupt/remove your lipstick. The key to working with this is to lightly pat the product onto your lips with your fingertip. This is not intended for use with glosses or lip balms. This product is a must have for lipstick junkies or makeup artists, because it doubles your lipstick wardrobe!
- L.A. Lights Blendable Lip & Cheek Color: (5 new shades) Launched at the end of December 2015.
- These lip/cheek cream sticks are a great product for anyone on the go. These have a very lightweight and blendable formula, that looks super natural on the skin. They help brighten and hydrate the skin, and are ideal for dry-normal skins, or anyone looking for a light and natural makeup look!
- Always Sharp Lip Liner: (new Clear shade) Launched at the end of December 2015.
- This multi-purpose product can be used as an all-over lip primer, or a clear lipliner to prevent lipstick from bleeding! It glides on very easily, and doesn’t leave a white residue, making it ideal for all skin tones! It features the same in-cap sharpening mechanism that all the Smashbox Stay Sharp liners feature. Another feature the Smashbox Trainer shared with us, is that these can even be used to groom the brows, groom unruly brow hairs, and set the brows in place!
- Photo Finish Lash Primer (reformulated, replacing previous Lash Primer) Available now online, Launches in stores April 2016.
- This is Smashbox’s first ever 10-in-1 lash primer. It conditions, lifts, plumpes, separates, lengthens, and adds volume to lashes while also prolonging the wear of your mascara, preventing flaking and smudging. The new applicator features a thin comb side to prevent clumping and give length and definition. The best way to apply this is to add a coat of lash primer, then use the comb side of the applicator to remove any excess product or clumps.
- X-Rated Mascara: Launches in stores April 2016.
- Smashbox’s newest mascara is their most buildable formula yet. It can be layered to give intense volume and drama, while remaining clump-free and flake-free. It’s a nice fluffy wand, giving super thick and voluptuous lashes. Each Smashbox mascara features different shaped mascara fibres, for different purposes. This one features a tripod shape, which adds layers each lash to create length and volume.
- The before and after resuts of this mascara were so incredible! I have a feeling this will become a best-selling mascara!
- Indecent Exposure Mascara: Launches in stores April 2016.
- This mascara is all about length. It has a thinner wand with slightly shorter bristles, which Smashbox describes as their “micro-defining brush” to really grab every single lash. The fibre shape of this formula contains curved fibres, to really add extra length. This mascara is great for those who struggle with short or spiky lashes, have smaller eyes, or who want to create that wide-eyed look!
- Photo Matte Eyes: Shadow, Liner, and Brow Powder: Launches in stores April 2016.
- This all-matte palette is a must have for travellers, or those looking for an all-in one palette! The colours and formulas are ideal for shadow, liner, and sculpting the brows! They can be used wet or dry, and come with a double ended brush (one end for shadow, the other end for liner or brows!) It comes with 14 mostly neutral shades, but also a couple of cool and warm tones. This palette features absolutely perfect blending shades! The two base shades come in a larger pan size – as Smashbox knows these are the colours people always run out of! They’re all super pigmented, blendable, and smooth!
- L.A. Lights Blush & Highlight Palettes: Permanent. Launches in stores April 2016.
- Smashbox always does blush palettes so well! (Review on last year’s LE palette here!) This year, they’re launching 3 different Blush and Highlight palettes. each comes with 2 blush shades and a complementary highlight shade, all ideal for mimicing professional studio light. The textures are smooth and blendable, and help to boost the complexion and give the skin a gorgeous glow. The 3 shades launching are: Culver City Coral, Pacific Coast Pink, and Malibu Berry. Palettes like these are fantastic for travelling! I’m so happy they’re launching these permanently, as the loose blushes and the Shimmer highlight were recently discontinued!