In my recent brow routine/tutorial video (which you can see here) I primarily used Anastasia Beverly Hills eyebrow products. While Anastasia is undoubtedly the brow queen, I know that it is not always available or within everyone’s price range. Thus I thought I should put together a little list of alternative products that won’t break the bank and can be found at almost any drugstore!
Tip: For girls with thicker natural eyebrows who just want to perfect the shape a bit, I suggest using a powder rather than a pencil or gel/pomade. This is because if you have lot of natural hair to begin with, a gel or pomade will stick to the hairs and will not look as natural.
Unfortunately I haven’t yet been able to find a good dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, at least here in Canada. The formula is so unique and so amazing that I haven’t been able to find anything that really compares in terms of lasting power and texture.
However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t other good eyebrow products on the market! Using a pencil + powder combination is a great alternative for correcting difficult brows.
Affordable Drugstore Eyebrow Products:
- Revlon ColorStay Brow Enhancer: this is a double-ended brow corrector. One end contains a wax-based pencil that helps to fill in sparse areas as well as keeping those pesky brow hairs in place. The other end contains a highlight shade to highlight the brow bone.
- The L’Oreal Brow Stylist: These are more of a standard brow pencil. They are sold individually as well as in duo packs. While pencils like this are great, I do find they need a bit of softening/blending (with a brow spooly brush or even a clean, disposable mascara wand.)
- The Maybelline MasterShape Brow Pencil: This pencil is more similar to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz (which is incredible, albeit quite pricey.) It has the pencil on the one end, with a spooly brush on the other. A pencil like this is very easy to use, and the brush on the end makes it incredibly convenient.
Tip: I always like to keep a pencil like this in my purse, just in case any brow disasters occur or touch ups are needed!
- Nyx Eyebrow Cake: This brow kit is super popular, and it’s no wonder, as it is a great product (and the very affordable price helps too!) The kit comes with 2 different shades (there are different colour kits for different shades of hair), which is great if your hair colour is difficult to match. This is also great for ensuring a more natural look-lighter shade on the inner portion of the eyebrow, and the darker shade on the outer half. It also comes with a wax to keep the brow hairs in place, or to set afterwards.
Tip: The outer portion of the eyebrow (the arch area) should be the darkest, while the inner portion should be the lightest. Natural eyebrows are more of a gradient-one solid colour or thickness all throughout will not look natural!
- Wet N Wild Ultimate Brow Kit:This is almost identical to the NYX Eyebrow Cake, however I know that NYX isn’t available in all countries/areas so I wanted to include an alternative.
- Covergirl Professional Clear Mascara: This is just a standard clear mascara. Pretty much any clear mascara can be used as a brow gel- it helps stick the brow hairs in place and ensure that your brows will last a lot longer.
If you’re curious as to how I currently do my brows, feel free to check out my brow tutorial-try not to be frightened at how I look without my eyebrows done, It’s definitely a scary sight. I don’t know what I would do without eyebrow products!
I’ve tried both the Maybelline MasterShape Brow and the Nyx Eyebrow cake-these are current drugstore brow favourites!
What are your favourite brow products?