Happy Halloween Everyone!
Halloween is one of my favourite times of the year, and is tied only with Christmas! I love everything about Halloween – the fall weather, candy, makeup inspiration, decorating, and most of all, Halloween movies. To me, Halloween is a time of creativity. It makes me so happy to see what types of costumes and looks people can create. I feed off of creative energy like a vampire feeds on blood.
It’s also a time where my slightly weird/dark/witch alterego can come out to play. Admittedly I feel extremely at home wearing all black and making myself look scary. Is that weird? Probably.
In the whirlwind of life recently, Halloween seemed to creep up on me (pun intended) before I even realized it. Sadly that means I didn’t have time for nearly all the Halloween festivities and blog posts that I had hoped for. And since I got stuck working on Halloween, it also means I couldn’t go all out with my costume like I had hoped. Despite all of this, I thought I’d put together a post including some of my favourite Halloween things!
Movies: I will admit I’m really not a fan of actual scary movies. I know, that sounds incredibly lame. But I prefer the movies full of creative makeup, slightly spooky themes, and fun!
- Hocus Pocus
- Halloweentown (all of them!)
- Monster House
- The Addams Family
- Corpse Bride
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Makeup: apart from the obvious special fx makeup, October/Halloween is a great time to take advantage of those dark lipsticks that have a tendency to sit in your makeup drawers collecting dust. I love anything dark, bold, or playful.
- Warm shadows – MAC has some of the widest range of warm-toned shades, such as Rule, Red Brick, Saddle, and Texture! (You can read about my favourite shades for Fall here!)
- Glitter & Pigments – again, MAC takes the lead here. Some of my favourites are from the annual holiday pigment sets that MAC launches! I love anything copper, gold, or burgundy! (These were from the last couple of years, not the 2015 holiday collection)
- Purple – purple is such a fun colour to play with during this time of year, as well as into the Holiday season. It’s bright, bold, and different! Some of my favourites are by Too Faced (Melted Villain), Stila (Como), Kat Von D (Susperia) and Mac (Own the Look, and Heroine)
- Dark lipsticks – MAC Amorous, Sin, and Diva are too of my favourites. I also love liquid lipsticks, they’re so perfect for this time of year!
- MAC Rocky Horror Collection – of course no Halloween makeup would be complete without this! This is my favourite collection of all time!
Food: granted none of these items are exactly healthy, but I just can’t help it! These are my favourite junk snucks to have for Halloween!
- Pillsbury Halloween Cookies – I live for these every holiday season. Seriously. I spend all year looking forward to them. I immediately feel sick after eating them, but it’s so worth it.
- Pigs In A Blanket – otherwise known as “hotdogs wrapped in that Pillsbury stuff” these hold a special place in my heart, and always make me feel nostalgic. My mom used to make these for me at Halloween and at childhood parties. Honestly, it doesn’t even matter what hotdogs are made out of. When I see these, I cannot resist!
- Candy – what would Halloween be without candy? I try to limit my candy intake, but for halloween I like to treat myself! My favourite sweets are Candy Corn, Twix, Smarties, and gummies!
- Cheetos Puffs – we call them “cheesies” here. These are one of my favourite salty snacks. They give me quite a stomach ache, so I try to limit my exposure to them as I have no willpower when it comes to these!
What are your favourite things about Halloween?